"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without words and never stops at all"
~ Emily Dickinson

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I See Semen!!

I thought that would get your attention! No it's not what you think. I'm organizing and documenting all the dairy goat and cow semen we have in the semen tanks so we can sell it or at least figure out what to do with it. For those of you unaware...artificial insemination was going on with livestock long before humans. Livestock semen can be very valuable depending on the quality of the bucks/bulls offspring. My dad collected many things, and yes, that included livestock semen. We have two semen tanks that have to be filled every three months with liquid nitrogen to keep the semen frozen until it's ready to be used. Since breeding season won't be here until the fall I'm hoping to sell as much semen this spring and summer and make some profit. I've gotten through the smaller tank but still have the big tank to itemize and figure out what all is in there.

It's been hard going through some of the papers and looking back on pictures of showing the goats, remembering all the great times we had at shows. I guess it's just all part of the process and since I'm the most familiar with the farm I don't think my dad would want anyone else to go through it but me.

1 comment:

  1. i totally agree! you should def be the one going through all of the semen!!!

    ReplyDelete